    SubjectRe: Patches agains boring^H^H^H^H^H^H 2.0 kernel versions..
    Hi there.

    The thing to keep in mind is that 2.0 kernels are the choice of 90+% of
    Linux users. A "boring" (highly reliable) system is exactly what most
    Linux users are after. If someone is doing a patch that they want to be
    immediately usable (or testable!) by the vast majority of Linux
    users/enthusiasts it only makes sense to do it against a late-2.0 kernel.
    Anyhow, nifty patches like the RAID stuff will certainly end up being
    re-worked for 2.1/2.2.

    <Side note to all kernel developers: thank you for making Linux great!!>

    -- Adam

    On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, linux kernel account wrote:

    > On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Gadi Oxman wrote:
    >
    > > The driver is released as a kernel patch against Linux 2.0.30.
    > > raidtools-0.3 can be used to create and repair a RAID-1/4/5 set.
    >
    > I've noticed that most intresting new development is done on 2.0 kernels.
    > I assume that this is because developers would like to have a stable base
    > for sanity reasons and because they are released less often.. (Hard to hit
    > a moving target).. Unfortunatly this makes it more difficult to add these
    > patches to 2.1 kernels (exception handling etc.), also, it detracts from
    > overall kernel testing with 2.1.x kernels.. (I have a few machines that
    > are for testing.. But only one of them do I really have the time to
    > pound).. This also encourges new feature to be added to 2.0 kernels (since
    > they are available there only) which is bad for stibility.
    >
    > So, maby it would be a good idea to declare a
    > 'Mostly-Stable-Unstable-Kernel'.. People making funkey new patches for
    > linux (I.e. genetic fork routienes, soft raid-5) can target for that
    > kernel.. Then it's less of a leap to the rest of the development.. Also,
    > maby when the MSUK version changes maby some could produce a changelog to
    > help developers switch versions..
    >
    > Would 2.1.36 be a good canidate?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.023 / U:1.436 seconds]