SubjectRe: New UseNet Gateway under construction
Small note on the subject as it's no very kernel-related:

On 25 May 1997 00:46:25 +0200 you wrote in group list.linux.kernel:
: I have tried to setup up a new usenet gateway at news.fuller.edu. The
: newsserver has public NNTP access. If anyone needs a feed then please
: tell me. Help wanted and needed especially since I dont have much
: experience with usenet.
You don't want to mess with mail2news gateways if you don't have much
experience with Usenet IMHO. If something goes wrong you might bomb
the entire list (heck.. this can happen to be best of people..but if
you don't know what can go wrong, you're much more prone to problems).

: > The loss on the linux.* gateway is certainly why I had to join serveral
: > lists. I'd much prefer to receive the lists via my newsfeed but now
: > I can't. <sigh>
I asked Dave about one-way gateways. It's ok to gateway to a local
hierarchy (we use list.linux.*). You don't want to run a public nntp server
with the potential to spam mailinglists..no sirree.

I don't understand why you folks don't take the bofh.* approach. Recreate
linux.* with a decent moderator address and special requirements. Run some
bots on it and feed it only to clued in people. Newbies can still read the
mailinglist and people who prefer the news-approacht can use that. Since
lots of people on bofh.* are intersted in linux as well and/or run
newsservers it shouldn't be too hard to get decent propagation and create
a relevant bot.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:4.231 / U:0.012 seconds]