SubjectRe: 2.1.76, nfs client, and memory fragmentation
Date
In article <199712291047.EAA28278@jadrek.kwr>,  <kwrohrer@enteract.com> wrote:

>I'll try it, but I don't think this will solve the fragmentation. It will
>adjust the reservation to try to hold on to free chunks of larger orders,
>but once a high-priority allocation snags the last one we're back where we
>started, with no way of bringing high-order free chunks back into the
>system.

Correct. Also, the patch probably doesn't mix all that nicely with the
slab allocator which has this nasty habit of wanting larger areas than
it really needs (because it can do a better job of cache coloring with a
larger area to play with, and it also has a smaller wasted memory
impact). That may undo some of the advantage of the patch - back when I
tried it originally the slab code didn't exist.

Anyway, I'd like to know what people think about the patch (even just
subjective "feels less snappy" or similar)

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.161 / U:0.348 seconds]