SubjectRe: 2.1.76, nfs client, and memory fragmentation
And lo, Linus Torvalds saith unto me:
> What this does is to essentially get rid of the old "minimum number of
> free pages" policy, and instead makes it a "minimum allocation order
> with an entry" policy. The code will refuse to use up the last entry of
> some allocation order for normal allocations - and the maximum allowable
> order depends on the type of allocation.
I'll try it, but I don't think this will solve the fragmentation. It will
adjust the reservation to try to hold on to free chunks of larger orders,
but once a high-priority allocation snags the last one we're back where we
started, with no way of bringing high-order free chunks back into the
system.

Keith

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans