SubjectRe: Content of Kernel mailing list
On Thu, 9 Jan 1997 msmith@quix.robins.af.mil wrote:

> > That is what I had hoped to avoid, I joined this list in the hopes the
> > majority of the posts would be the discussion of the implementation of
> > new hardware drivers, software ideas and protocols, I did not realize that
> > the majority of the discussion was "Please help me fix this", I admit to
> > being a bit brash in my comments, but I still believe that most had
> > understood that I was pleeding that one reads their current Inbox to see
> > if someone else has already posted this before creating a duplicate entry.
>
> Heh, my inbox lags about a day behind the list activity, sometimes
> worse on our little overworked 256k link to commercial net here
> on base.

Ours can lag fm 30 mins to 6 hours (and lately there have been a few
24-hour traffic clogs) depending, I suppose, on vger's temperment, and
we're only about 3 hops off of a Sprint backbone, and 12 from vger. I
remember not long ago a 2.1.# kernel kernel release had a bug report
posted to the list before Linus's announcement could clear the list ;-)
A little bit of redundancy comes with the territory...it's a classic
data synchronization problem, I suppose. (Anyone want to see topical
semaphores installed on the mailing list?)

Adam
--
He feeds on ashes; a deluded mind has led him Adam Bradley, UNCA Senior
astray, and he cannot deliver himself or say, Computer Science

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.518 / U:0.196 seconds]