SubjectSMP locks up when NFS times out
From
I've been having some real problems with 2.0.13 (and 2.0.11 and 2.0.12
for that matter) SMP locking up my machine. After much experimentation
I have determined that the problem occurs whenever an "NFS server foo
not responding" message would've happened. When running SMP the machine
locks up forever. When running the same kernel non-SMP the messages
show up and the machine does not lock up (it also starts doing NFS
normally once the connection is restored).

When I say locked up I mean that it won't respond to ping or finger from
another machine, it won't respond to the keyboard in any way (not even
ctrl-alt-delete or rshift-lock etc.). It is time for a hard reset.

This is a very serious problem. We're trying to get some dual P6-200
machines (DELL Optiplex GX Pros) up and running Linux, and this is a
real blow to us. I guess this is what it means to be running
"experimental" SMP.

I first noticed that the machine was crashing every night when our
fileserver got slow during incremental backups. Other machines would
show "NFS server not responding", but the Linux-SMP machines would lock
up for good.

I can now lock up the machine at will by doing the following:

1. start a big NFS read (10s of MB) with something like

% sum /big/nfs/file

2. wait 10s or so

3. pull the ethernet connection

As soon as you see your first "NFS server not responding" (at least I
think you see it, now I'm not sure) you're locked up for good.

**Could someone else running Linux SMP try out this lock up procedure?***

I have tried 2.0.13, 2.0.12, and 2.0.11 SMP with the same fatal lockups.

Any ideas? Please help! I'd love to help, but I don't know where to
begin.

Lee Hetherington
ilh@lcs.mit.edu

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.079 / U:1.380 seconds]