SubjectRe: SB16 Sound driver problem

On 16-Jul-96 Hannu Savolainen wrote:
>Don't try to use kerneld if you have SB16 version 4.5. For some reason

Mine is reported by /dev/sndstat as a "Sound Blaster 16 (4.5)"

>this particular firmware version causes troubles when _warm_ loading the
>sound driver while there are no problems with any other SB version.
>
>This problem may be related with interrupt test feature added in Linux
>2.0.1. It's possible to bypass the test by adding
>
>#define NO_SB_IRQ_TEST

No help. Same problem of a complete kernel lockup under 2.0.7.

>to the beginning of linux/drivers/sound/sb_commob.c. However nobody has
>reported that this change helps. Somebody claimed that leaving MIDI
>support out from configuration could help too.

This did the trick. Sound works now - even with kerneld. My
SB16 is version 4.5.

>Best regards,
>
>Hannu

The sound driver seems to be leaving the sound card in a
bad state when MIDI support is compiled in. Even after a
warm boot, the kernel will freeze when initializing the
sound board (by kernel or module) if the sound driver was
loaded previously. I had loaded the sound module, created
a new kernel with sound compiled in, then rebooted and had
the kernel hang during the boot sequence, right as the
sound driver was initializing.

I don't *need* MIDI support, since I have no MIDI hardware,
but I had previously always compiled in MIDI support. This
had never caused a problem.

Rob
(rriggs@tesser.com)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.389 / U:0.620 seconds]