SubjectIDEA for CD auto eject/(dis)mount
Date
Hi all,

I was just talking about this ongoing discussion about automounting cd's with
a friend, and we sort of came up with some ideas...

Anyway, the proposal we were considering was a general method of mounting
removable media; floppies as well as cd's. it would be neat if there was some
sort of hotkey for certain devices like /dev/fd0, and /dev/cdrom so that all
you would have to do is press like alt-insert or something, and it would

(a) check the current mount status
(b) if unmounted
(a) if the drive is open, close it (if possible)
(a) attempt to mount the drive
else
(a) sync
(b) check if the device is busy, and if not unmount it
(c) eject the disk (if possible)

There are hotkeys for the virtual consoles, so it can't be too difficult to
decide on one for /dev/fd0, and one for /dev/cdrom. Whatever grabs these
hotkeys can send a signal to like, removed, or something, which goes about
the ejecting/inserting and unmounting/mounting..

Agreeing with what other people said, make it an option, so that people with
coffee mugs don't get a rude suprise. I don't agree with the drive ejecting
when it is umounted by a process, but to simply move the "eject" switch from
hardware to software seems a fairly reasonable solution. I don't know about
everyone else, but having to find a free vc to (un)mount a cd on gets a little
boring..

anyway, I would be very interested in hearing other ideas, criticisms, etc..
and if possible, leave flames at your local smtp host.. this is supposed to
be a discussion group..

nuff said
ciao

thomas@cs.adelaide.edu.au (Dizzy)
Coding member of Priests of Power (PoP)
Vice-President of the Student Machine Users Group (SMUG)
Studying Honours in Computer Science at the University of Adelaide
"I am certainly sure that the views expressed by me are not the views that I
meant to express, when I expressed them, and as such cannot be held liable for
those views not expressed as I would have expressed them."

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.604 / U:0.848 seconds]