    Subjectgpm/serial bug?

    I just spent too many hours figuring out that gpm was running and
    shouldn't have been. I had a serial device attached to /dev/cua0
    on a headless, sort of embedded, Linux PC. A short time after
    starting the program that controls the device on the serial port
    the the kernel would start thinking that bogus data was being typed
    on the console. I was getting illegal character in name type messages
    from getty. If I plugged in a monitor I could see the bogus data.
    If I plugged in a keyboard I could inject correct key strokes in
    amongst the bogus ones. If I shut down the controlling program and
    the device then the problems stopped. If I let it keep running the
    system would slowely die until it would do little more than respond
    to pings on the network.

    I experienced the problem with 2.0.14, 2.0.22 and 2.0.25.

    1) Does gpm do funny things that would make it suspect or does this
    "have to" be a kernel problem?

    2) Has anyone else seen anything like this before? I am accustomed
    to having one program steal serial data from an other or
    other messed up behavior like that, but I have neve before
    seen messed up behavior from the kernel in a situation like
    this before.

    Getting rid of gpm and resetting the system cleared the problem. I suspect
    something like gpm behaving badly when recieving data it doesn't understand.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.018 / U:11.068 seconds]