SubjectRe: Linux needs control.exe
On 23 Oct 1996, Juergen Weber wrote:

> In the German computer magazine c't (11/96) there was an interview
> with Linus Thorvalds. Asked about the most important developments for
> Linux in the near future he said: "... What is really interesting in
> the Linux-World are advances on the user-level: ApplixWare,
> StarOffice, Wabi, WordPerfect and so on. ..."
>
> I think to make Linux an alternative to Windows for Joe User, Linux
> system administration must be lots easier. This applies to other
> Unixes as well. In two years NT machines will be as powerful as
> sparcs. Why should anyone bother fighting with Unix sysadmin then?
> Have you ever added a HD under Solaris? I see, you got the point ;-)
>
> Back to Linux. I do think Linux must get a system administration shell
> as good looking as Win95's control.exe, but yet more easier to use
> (and it should fit on a root disc ;-)
>
> The power user should still be possible to dig in /etc/* config files,
> so the control shell must use the usual Linux config files.
>
> I think making Linux easier for end users is much more important than
> adding yet another feature to the kernel (therefore this post in
> dev.kernel ;-).

Check out linuxconf (my sig). It currently have a curses and html
interface. A tcl/tk one is coming. It goes much beyond most admin
utilities. Not only it let you configure most of the workstation (from IP
setup, routing, IP alias, email, ...), but it is an activator. Whenever
you do a change, it knows what has to be done to make it effective. No
need to reboot! Further, it tells you all the changes it will do, making
it much more instructive than MS products.

I am about to release 1.8 with a huge amount of gadgets. Si the change
log in the URL of my sig!

Check it out!

Jacques Gelinas (jacques@solucorp.qc.ca)
Linuxconf: The ultimate administration system for Linux.
see http://www.solucorp.qc.ca:/linuxconf

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.777 / U:0.312 seconds]