    Subjectsuspend blockers & Android integration

    * tytso@mit.edu <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:

    > [...] Not only has the source code been made available, but hundreds of
    > engineering hours have been made trying to accomodate the demands of LKML
    > --- and LKML has said no to suspend blockers/wakelocks.

    I dont think you are being fair here, at all.

    Firstly, the suspend-blockers feature is not being rejected (fixing and
    extending suspend is a worthwile goal), it's just that various different
    schemes have been proposed by the people who'll eventually have to maintain
    that code down the line.

    Those reasons seem justified and they are based in praxis that have solved
    similar problems to what Android tries to solve.

    Sadly the response from the Android team has been 100% uncompromising: either
    suspend blockers or nothing.

    The thing is, if the insertion of 'hundreds of man hours' into discussing a
    feature was technical grounds for upstream inclusion then we'd today have a
    Linux kernel with:

    - STREAMS
    - a kABI
    - modularized ipv4
    - perfmon
    - two dozen CPU schedulers
    - zero-copy stupidly pushed to all the file APIs

    ... and IMO we'd be off much worse technically.

    Lets realize it, Linux is an engineering effort that has literally cost about
    ten thousand man years. That's about a _85 million_ man hours. It takes effort
    to keep that kind of work valuable!

    Also, why did the Android team start its contributions with such a difficult
    and controversial kernel feature?

    There is absolutely _zero_ technical reason why the Android team should
    present this as as an all-or-nothing effort. Why not merge hw drivers first
    (with suspend blockers commented or stubbed out), to reduce the fork distance?

    Really, i myself have controversial kernel features pending all the time. They
    dont go upstream for a few kernel releases - over a year sometimes - and
    sometimes they never go upstream.

    But the fact that some feature of mine is pending doesnt give me the right to
    go away sulking, it doesnt mean i will block the whole flow of patches in
    retaliation (as you seem to suggest Google will now have the right to do) - i
    simply try to work it out.

    Lets be reasonable and work it all out, ok?

    Thanks,

    Ingo

      Last update: 2010-06-03 21:33    [W:0.022 / U:31.640 seconds]