SubjectRe: linux-arm-kernel useless for development (was Re: Your message to Linux-arm-kernel awaits moderator approval)
On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 06:02:10AM -0700, Joe Perches wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 13:40 +0100, Russell King wrote:
> > And no, moving the list outside the EU domain doesn't relieve any
> > of the lawful issues unless (as I understand the law) someone outside
> > the EU were to run the list. And people would have to independently
> > subscribe to it - I wouldn't be able to export the existing subscriber
> > list outside the EU.
>
> I suspect a vger based ARM list would not require you to "run" it.
>
> Perhaps you overestimate the value of the arm subscriber database
> as well as the work involved to subscribe to a list.
>
> Adding a "click this to subscribe to the new list" to the mailing
> list trailer would work reasonably well.

There is already a vger based ARM list. I see no signs of people
moving over to it. I summise that is because most people don't
have a problem, and most people are happy with the existing lists
as they stand. Could it be that it's only a minority who are
having issues. I don't know.

I also believe that majordomo is still stuck in the dark ages wrt
subscribing - having to have a carefully composed email message to
subscribe or unsubscribe. Having mailman's web interface took a
lot of work off of my shoulders when we moved the ARM lists off
of vger.rutgers.edu all those years back having to educate people
how to deal with majordomo.

Let's not forget - as Pavel has yet again proven - if you have a
problem with a mailing list, who do you talk to. All the list
admins? Of course not! You email rmk and/or mailing lists
directly.

> > Now, people here can tell me I'm wrong, but they aren't in the legal
> > profession... Would you get a gardener to fix your gas boiler, or
> > would you get a qualified and registered gas engineer in?
>
> Perhaps not using the gas boiler is another option.

Maybe we should all go back to using coal fires then. Oops, we moved
away from that to cleaner burning gas because of the smog problems
caused by burning dirty fuels.

--
Russell King
maintainer of:

  Last update: 2009-08-06 15:39    [W:0.727 / U:0.068 seconds]