    SubjectRe: [patch 0/5] Intel Poulsbo/Morrestown DRM driver and DRM core changes
    On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:39:03AM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > The non-existence of an open-source 3D implementation doesn't really
    > > alter that situation.
    > I think it does to an extent

    With an opensource 2d solution it does?

    > > However, if there's a policy issue about adding Linux kernel support for
    > > closed-source user-space drivers, I think it helps to be explicit about
    > > that.
    > Actually its a lawyer question not just policy. If the two parts being put
    > together are tightly dependant on each other and in fact form a single
    > work which it seems could reasonably be the case in this situation then
    > if one half is GPL the other must also be so.

    I'm not going to disagree with that, which would force the 3d portions
    open. At the moment I'm more worried about just getting 2d to work at

    I was going to wait for the "rewrite" to worry about 3d stuff, as it
    will be done properly that way.

    greg k-h

     \ /
      Last update: 2009-03-19 21:17    [W:0.019 / U:25.292 seconds]