    SubjectRe: document ext3 requirements
    On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 01:49:49PM -0600, Rob Landley wrote:

    > Want to document the granularity issues with flash, while you're at it?
    >
    > An inherent problem with using flash as a normal block device is that the
    > flash erase size is bigger than most filesystem sector sizes. So when you
    > request a write, it may erase and rewrite the next 64k, 128k, or even a couple
    > megabytes on the really _big_ ones.
    >
    > If you lose power in the middle of that, ext3 won't notice that data in the
    > "sectors" _after_ the one your were trying to write to got trashed.

    True enough, although the newer SSD's will have this problem addressed
    (although at least initially, they are **far** more costly than the
    el-cheapo 32GB SD cards you can find at the checkout counter at Fry's
    alongside battery-powered shavers and trashy ipod speakers).

    I will stress again, that most of this doesn't belong in
    Documentation/filesystems/ext3.txt, as most of this is *not*
    ext3-specific.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2009-01-04 23:09    [W:0.024 / U:124.212 seconds]