    SubjectRe: document ext3 requirements
    > If dm supported barriers, this wouldn't be an issue.  Personally, I

    "If the dm people applied the patches to support barriers" I believe is
    the correct description - Andi ?

    dm and md want fixing and even in the md case it isn't hard to do right.

    > > or disabling write cache (but, as Alan Cox said, this
    > > shortens the lifespan of the disk).
    >
    > Huh? I've never heard an assertion that disabling the write cache (I
    > assume you mean using write-through caching as opposed to write-back
    > caching), shortens the lifespan of disk drives. Aggressive battery

    Thats what I was told by a disk vendor - simply because the drive makes a
    lot more mechanical movements and writes.

    > your noticing it, you can avoid running fsck at boot time. It's
    > really more about shorting the boot time after a crash more than
    > anything else.

    That depends enormously on your environment. In a secure environment full
    data journalling is practically essential to avoid the tiny risk of bits
    of important data turning up in another users file.

    Alan

      Last update: 2009-01-05 12:47    [W:0.036 / U:3.548 seconds]