SubjectRe: [patch 03/15] cgroup: dont call vfs_mkdir
> > From: Miklos Szeredi <mszeredi@suse.cz>
> >
> > cgroup_clone() calls vfs_mkdir() to create a directory in the cgroup
> > filesystem. Replace with explicit call to cgroup_mkdir() and
> > fsnotify_mkdir().
> >
> > This is equivalent, except that the following functions are not called
> > before cgroup_mkdir():
> >
> > - may_create()
> > - security_inode_mkdir()
> > - DQUOT_INIT()
> >
> > Permission to clone the cgroup has already been checked in
> > copy_namespaces() (requiring CAP_SYS_ADMIN). Additional file system
> > related capability checks are inappropriate and confusing.
> >
> > The quota check is unnecessary, as quotas don't make any sense for
> > this filesystem.
>
> Looks correct but I don't think it's a good idea. Spreading more logic
> into filesystems without a good reason is rarely a good idea.

(Thanks for the review, Christoph)

Agreed completely, but vfs_* aren't for filesystems to call, rather
for entities calling _into_ filesystems from the outside. This is
actually a very rare thing, so adding some extra logic for the sake of
cleanliness should be OK.

Now it can be argued, that cgroup_clone() is calling into the
filesystem from the outside. But it's not really doing that, rather
it's making an internal modification to a specific filesystem,
triggered by some external action.

Miklos

  Last update: 2008-05-07 01:09    [W:1.834 / U:0.468 seconds]