    SubjectLinux 2.6.25-rc1

    Ok, it's a bloody large -rc (as was 24-rc1, for that matter), probably
    because the 2.6.24 release cycle dragged out, so people had a lot of
    things pending.

    The full diff is something like 11MB and 1.4M lines of diffs, with the
    bulk of the stuff being in architecture updates and drivers.

    Just to have some fun, I did trivial statistics, and of the 1.4M lines of
    diffs, about 38% - 530k lines - were in architecture files (400k+ lines of
    diffs in arch/, 100k+ lines of diffs in include/asm-*), and another big
    chunk is in drivers (including sound) at about 44% - 610k lines - of

    The rest comes in much smaller, but still noticeable is networking (8% -
    110k lines), with filesystems at 4%, and documentation at about 2%. The
    remaining crumbles being spread out mostly over block layer, crypto,
    kernel core, and security layer updates (ie SElinux and smack).

    [ Just to make it more obvious how driver and architecture-dominated the
    kernel changelogs are: just the network driver changes were 200kloc, and
    even just infiniband - which came way behind not just networking
    drivers, but also DVB, SCSI, char and ide - generated more lines of code
    changed than the "core" kernel code under the kernel/ subdirectory.

    And that's despite the fact that the "core" code was actually under a
    fairly active merge cycle, with a lot of namespace- and scheduling-
    related stuff. ]

    Now, some of that is files moving about and other reorganizations (SH and
    to a lesser degree sparc starting to merge 32-bit and 64-bit
    architectures), but most of it really is just the normal flood of changes
    and new driver or platform support.

    The full shortlog is half a meg in size (and the diffstat is even bigger),
    so I won't be including that here, but some things that may be worth
    pointing out not because they are big in line sizes, but because they have
    potential to be noticed by more people:

    - the intel graphics driver is starting to do suspend/resume natively
    (ie even without X support), which is a welcome sign of the times and
    may help some people. It helped on my laptop.

    - Other suspend/resume changes in device access ordering etc, and the
    usual ACPI changes means that we really want reports from people about
    this all even if you don't have intel graphics.

    - Lots of cleanups from the x86 merge (making more and more use of common
    files), but also the big page attribute stuff is in and caused a fair
    amount of churn, and while most of the issues should have been very
    obvious and all got fixed, this is definitely one of those things that
    we want a lot of very wide testing of to make sure nothing regressed.

    - fair number of changes to things like the legacy IDE drivers too, and a
    totally new driver for the very common PCIE version of the Intel e1000
    network card etc.

    - .. and I've probably totally forgotten about tons of other stuff I
    should have mentioned, but the point is that not only do we have lots
    of new core, we do have a fair amout of changes to basic stuff that can
    actually affect perfectly bog-standard hardware setups.

    So give it all a good testing.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-02-11 01:49    [W:0.047 / U:10.484 seconds]