    SubjectRe: [RFC, Announce] Unified x86 architecture, arch/x86
    On Saturday 21 July 2007 00:32, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
    > We are pleased to announce a project we've been working on for some
    > time: the unified x86 architecture tree, or "arch/x86" - and we'd like
    > to solicit feedback about it.

    Well you know my position on this. I think it's a bad idea because
    it means we can never get rid of any old junk. IMNSHO arch/x86_64
    is significantly cleaner and simpler in many ways than arch/i386 and I would
    like to preserve that. Also in general arch/x86_64 is much easier to hack
    than arch/i386 because it's easier to regression test and in general
    has to care about much less junk. And I don't
    know of any way to ever fix that for i386 besides splitting the old
    stuff off completely.

    Besides radical file movements like this are bad anyways. They cause
    a big break in patchkits and forward/backwards porting that doesn't
    really help anybody.

    > This causes double maintenance
    > even for functionality that is conceptually the same for the 32-bit and
    > the 64-bit tree. (such as support for standard PC platform architecture
    > devices)

    It's not really the same platform: one is PC hardware going back forever
    with zillions of bugs, the other is modern PC platforms which much less
    bugs and quirks

    To see it otherwise it's more a junkification of arch/x86_64 than
    a cleanup of arch/i386 -- in fact you didn't really clean up arch/i386
    at all.