    SubjectRe: [RFC, Announce] Unified x86 architecture, arch/x86

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, Jeff Garzik wrote:

    > Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > > * Jeff Garzik <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I agree with Andi... it's quite nice to be able to leave some arch/i386
    > > > stuff, and not carry it over to arch/x86-64.
    > >
    > > we can leave those few items in arch/x86 just as much. No need to keep
    > > around a legacy tree for that.
    > By extension it makes doing that sort of thing, in general, more difficult.
    > Which is IMO not desirable.

    I think it's *much* harder to carry legacy things around in an old tree
    that almost nobody even uses any more (probably not true yet, but for most
    of the main developers, I bet it will be true in a year). Especially one
    that just duplicates 99% of the stuff.

    There really isn't that much legacy crud. There are things like random
    quirks, but every time I hear the (theoretical) argument about how much
    time and effort we save by having it duplicated somewhere else, I think
    about all the time we definitely waste by fixing the same bug twice (and
    worry about the cases where we don't).

      Last update: 2007-07-21 00:55    [W:0.030 / U:7.312 seconds]