    SubjectRe: Userspace compiler support of "long long"
    On Jun 27, 2007, at 13:32:40, Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > AFAIR the Intel compiler claims to be gcc.
    > But these are by far not the only C compilers under Linux, and the
    > more important points are:
    > Is there any userspace Linux compiler that does not support "long
    > long"?

    Don't know, but I'd guess not.

    > If yes, is there any other way to tell that something is a 64bit
    > int on 32bit architectures?

    Not that I know of. Probably the straight #else conditional is OK.
    We should also merge up the types since *EVERY* linux architecture
    has these same types:

    typedef signed char __s8;
    typedef unsigned char __u8;
    typedef signed short __s16;
    typedef unsigned short __u16;
    typedef signed int __s32;
    typedef unsigned int __u32;

    Then all 64-bit archs have:
    typedef signed long __s64;
    typedef unsigned long __u64;

    While all 32-bit archs have:
    typedef signed long long __s64;
    typedef unsigned long long __u64;

    The only trick is if you care about building 32-bit compat code using
    64-bit linux kernel headers. In that case we should probably just
    make all archs use "long long" for their 64-bit integers, unless
    there's some platform I'm not remembering where "long long" is 128-
    bits or bigger. The other benefit is that people could then just use
    the printf format "%llu" for 64-bit integers instead of having to
    conditionalize it all over the place.

    I'm working on a patch now.

    Kyle Moffett

      Last update: 2007-06-28 00:33    [W:0.021 / U:62.936 seconds]