    From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <>
    Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 17:23:20 +1000

    > I quite like mem_to_io_* (barrier/rb/wb) and io_to_mem_* in fact :) That
    > is probably more talkative to device driver writers and would allow more
    > fine grained barriers.

    I firmly believe that the average driver person is not going
    to be able to get these things right, even if you document it
    in big bold letters in some Documentation/*.txt file.

    This is like the Alpha OSF outb() interface for kernel drivers
    that had something like 8 arguments.

    And even if you define these things, and people start using it,
    only PowerPC and a few other systems (I guess IA64) will ever
    notice when this stuff is done wrong. That's really not a good
    plan from a testing coverage point of view.

      Last update: 2006-09-09 11:41    [W:0.020 / U:15.508 seconds]