    SubjectRE: The GPL: No shelter for the Linux kernel?
    Date

    > On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, David Schwartz wrote:

    > > This is probably going to be controversial, but Linus should seriously
    > > consider adding a clause that those who contribute to the
    > > kernel from now on
    > > consent to allow him to modify the license on their current
    > > contributions
    > > and all past contributions, amending the Linux kernel license as
    > > appropriate. This would at least begin to reduce this problem
    > > over the next
    > > few years, leaving fewer and fewer people with claim to less
    > > and less code
    > > who would have legal standing to object.

    > It's the last thing I'd ever want to do, for all the same reasons the
    > kernel doesn't have the "or later versions" language wrt licenses.

    > I don't actually want people to need to trust anybody - and that
    > very much includes me - implicitly.

    > I think people can generally trust me, but they can trust me exactly
    > because they know they don't _have_ to.

    Yeah, I see your point. However, what happens if three years from now, there
    is some reason that the Linux kernel license really does need to be changed
    to fix a serious problem? We're basically just screwed.

    While it is true that people don't have to trust you now. They do have to
    trust/hope that there won't come a future time when some license problem or
    change in law significantly impairs their ability to use Linux.

    I can think of procedural safeguards against the "Linus sells out" or "Linus
    goes insane" potential problems, but I don't have a perfect solution. I'm
    not even sure I have a good one, other than hoping there never is such a
    problem and/or that there's some good way to deal with one should one arise.

    Suppose hypothetically GPLv3 had been really, really good and there was a
    general consensus that it would provide siginficant benefits if it could be
    applied to Linux. It might be nice to be able to apply it.

    DS

      Last update: 2006-09-23 02:15    [W:0.024 / U:66.364 seconds]