    Subjectsound connector detection

    One Apple machines I have with snd-aoa the situation that the alsa
    driver can detect changes in in/output connector state ("is headphone
    plugged in" etc.) and currently surfaces it through a read-only alsa
    mixer element. That isn't really ideal since nothing is prepared to
    handle such events, hence I provide an additional control that allows an
    in-kernel toggle from speakers to headphone on headphone plug (and vice

    I'd really like to see this handled in userspace (additionally or
    possibly event instead), since there are complications especially with
    input (line-in) detection and user preferences of what should happen
    then. The number of cases can become large, especially when throwing in
    digital and combo connectors that aren't handled yet.

    Now, is it appropriate to create an input device for the state of these
    things and add new constants like SW_LINEIN_INSERTED,
    if so, how do I reflect the fact that on some machines optical and
    analog input/output is mutually exclusive, while on others it isn't?
    That would probably require another SW_COMBO_IN/OUT set...

    Or should I simply stick with (a) read-only mixer control(s), and for
    the mutually exclusive case create a tristate (none, optical, analog)
    one? But SW_HEADPHONE_INSERT already exists, so we may want to do this
    identically on different machines.

    Comments appreciated.

      Last update: 2006-07-02 00:08    [W:0.025 / U:1.268 seconds]