    SubjectRe: [RFD] 'nice' attribute for executable files
    Wiktor <victorjan@poczta.onet.pl> writes:

    > Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >> It can be done entirely in userspace, if you want it. Just hack your
    >> shell to examine some extended attribute of your choice, and adjust
    >> the nice value before executing files. Then arrange to have the shell
    >> run with a negative nice value. This can be easily accomplished with
    >> a simple wrapper, only for the shell.
    >>

    > this method can be applied, as you've written, only for shell (which
    > have to be hacked before). so, every program that runs any other
    > program should be hacked to use
    > pre-execution-renice-database. rewriting all the programs in the world
    > takes a bit more time than i have to the death. woudn't it be simplier
    > to implement it in kernel, somewhere near setuid/setgid bits? if it
    > would make system slower, support of such attribute could be optional,
    > just like acl-s.

    You could wrap /lib/ld-linux.so, and get all dynamically linked
    programs done in one sweep.

    > i've found a way to perform such function in userland, but it is
    > awful, and, if some program runs another, that should be reniced, very
    > often, starting a shell (even ash) for each call will surely smoke my
    > cpu.

    Using a shell to run external programs is quite common. The system()
    and popen() functions both invoke the shell.

    > this feature without doubt belongs to kernel - it is performed every
    > time kernel starts a program, and it is not so complicated like, let's
    > say, hotplug support, is it?

    I'm not so sure it belongs at all. The can of worms it opens up is a
    bit too big, IMHO.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@inprovide.com