    SubjectRe: [RFD] 'nice' attribute for executable files
    Wiktor <victorjan@poczta.onet.pl> said:
    > Horst von Brand wrote:
    > > Even better: Write a C wrapper for each affected program that just renices
    > > it as needed.

    > I suggest to implement scalable solution, so the final user wont't have
    > to write separate wrapper for *each* program.

    Final user doesn't. It is a job for whoever writes the program, or packages
    it for a distro. If even required.

    > universal wrapper is
    > better solution, but (now i know, that implementing something that can
    > be dangerous if used incorrectly is so evil, that only the devil could
    > have proposed it) it forces use of database (that normally would be kept
    > in filesystem's file metadata) and if some-malicious-person would have
    > accessed it in write mode (as result of wrong file permissions), the
    > system performerance would be in danger. in my solution, there is
    > per-file attribute, accessible only for root, and if hacker has root
    > permissions, existence of nice attribute is meaningless.

    Anything like this that can be accessed by plain users (not root) is
    inherently dangerous. It is for a reason that only root can increase the
    priority of a process. If you allow reniceing and place some kind of limit
    on it, even Aunt Tillie will run her programs with priority maxed out, and
    we are back were we are today.