SubjectRe: [RFD] 'nice' attribute for executable files
Wiktor <> said:
> Horst von Brand wrote:
> > Even better: Write a C wrapper for each affected program that just renices
> > it as needed.

> I suggest to implement scalable solution, so the final user wont't have
> to write separate wrapper for *each* program.

Final user doesn't. It is a job for whoever writes the program, or packages
it for a distro. If even required.

> universal wrapper is
> better solution, but (now i know, that implementing something that can
> be dangerous if used incorrectly is so evil, that only the devil could
> have proposed it) it forces use of database (that normally would be kept
> in filesystem's file metadata) and if some-malicious-person would have
> accessed it in write mode (as result of wrong file permissions), the
> system performerance would be in danger. in my solution, there is
> per-file attribute, accessible only for root, and if hacker has root
> permissions, existence of nice attribute is meaningless.

Anything like this that can be accessed by plain users (not root) is
inherently dangerous. It is for a reason that only root can increase the
priority of a process. If you allow reniceing and place some kind of limit
on it, even Aunt Tillie will run her programs with priority maxed out, and
we are back were we are today.
Dr. Horst H. von Brand User #22616