    SubjectRe: [RFD] 'nice' attribute for executable files
    Date
    Wiktor <victorjan@poczta.onet.pl> writes:

    > Horst von Brand wrote:
    >> Even better: Write a C wrapper for each affected program that just
    >> renices
    >> it as needed.
    >
    > I suggest to implement scalable solution, so the final user wont't
    > have to write separate wrapper for *each* program. universal wrapper
    > is better solution, but (now i know, that implementing something that
    > can be dangerous if used incorrectly is so evil, that only the devil
    > could have proposed it) it forces use of database (that normally would
    > be kept in filesystem's file metadata)

    A userspace solution could still use POSIX extended attributes.

    > and if some-malicious-person would have accessed it in write mode
    > (as result of wrong file permissions), the system performerance
    > would be in danger. in my solution, there is per-file attribute,
    > accessible only for root, and if hacker has root permissions,
    > existence of nice attribute is meaningless.

    You forgot something: this idea of yours needs to be implemented,
    tested, and debugged. Those things take time, and effort, and are
    still of very little value.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@inprovide.com