    On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 05:42:21PM -0700, Nicholas Miell wrote:
    > Anything that currently stores a file's metadata in another file really
    > wants this right now. Things like image thumbnails, document summaries,
    > digital signatures, etc.

    Which is exactly how Windows apps have started to use streams.

    > As to how to do it, I think the Solaris interface is reasonably decent.
    > The overview is at

    I agree. This is an interface Samba can live with I think. I
    was thinking of implementing it anyway, just so I could piss
    off the Linux kernel developers by saying "oh if you need proper
    Windows semantics on Samba you have to use an advanced OS like
    Solaris, Linux doesn't cut it" :-) :-).

    > The only real problem I have with their design is the calling them
    > attributes and using "at" everywhere.

    Yep - they're different from xattrs. The easiest way to remember
    this is that file streams are seekable and get a fd, xattrs aren't
    and don't :-).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.027 / U:3.816 seconds]