> "OMG! It breaks tar and email!!!" argument doesn't fly. Things break all
> the time and are fixed. It's called progress.

Yes - we break things all the time. But we take notice, when we are
breaking things, of how long standing and deeply embedded they are.

The deeper the roots, the more respect we show it, and the harder
it will be to change.

Heaping scorn on someone who is reluctant to change something as
deeply embedded as "a file is a byte stream" does not further the
discussion.

--
I won't rest till it's the best ...
Programmer, Linux Scalability