    SubjectRe: [RFD] Explicitly documenting patch submission
    On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 11:46:29PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > This is not about proving authorship - it's about documenting the
    > process. This does not replace or preclude things like PGP-signed
    > emails, this is _documenting_ how we work, so that we can show people
    > who don't understand the open source process.

    What aspects of the process do you want to document?

    The patch-submission process can be more complicated than a simple path
    up a heirarchy of maintainers--patches get bounced around a lot

    If you're trying to document who contributes "intellectual property" to
    the kernel, then documenting the process of creating the patch would
    seem more important than documenting the actual submission--any
    significant change is often the result of complicated discussions
    between multiple parties who wouldn't necessarily appear in the chain of

    I gues I'm still a little vague as to exactly what sort of questions we
    expect to be able to answer using this new documentation.

    A couple examples (which I think aren't too farfetched):
    * Developer A submits a patch which is dropped by maintainer B.
    I later notice this and resubmit A's patch to B. I don't
    change the patch at all, and the resubmission is my only
    contribution to the process. Do I need to tag on my own
    "Signed-off-by" line?
    * I write a patch. Developers X and Y suggest significant
    changes. I make the changes before I submit them to maintainer
    Z. Suppose the changes are significant enough that I no longer
    feel comfortable representing myself as the sole author of the
    patch. Should I also be asking developer X and Y to add their
    own "Signed-off-by" lines?

    --Bruce Fields

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.030 / U:155.480 seconds]