    SubjectRe: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > Even atomic.h. I could well imagine that somebody includes atomic.h just
    > to get the thread-safe updates for some architectures. For example,
    > asm-alpha/atomic.h does it right, and I would not be at all surprised if
    > somebody had noticed.

    In fact, this is not entirely theoretical. I know people _have_ noticed,
    because I've gotten queries from some projects that wanted to copy the
    definitions for their alpha port. I only got those queries because my name
    is on the file, and those people wanted to actually copy them, not just
    include the header file. I don't know _how_ many people decided to just
    do the #include.

    There are probably more people familiar with the kernel source tree than
    with GLIB which is probably the preferred way to do those things these
    days. And a few years ago that choice wasn't even there.

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.020 / U:0.196 seconds]