    SubjectRe: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__

    On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, David Woodhouse wrote:

    > The concept isn't at all hard to understand. But no patch is 'obviously
    > correct' if you want to protect against the _slightest_ possibility that
    > people might be abusing something you're taking away.

    I really disagree. That's kind of my point. We _can_ make sure that there
    is abzolutely zero semantic content change.

    People both inside and outside the kernel who use the old <linux/xxx.h>
    headers will get exactly what they got before if we do it right.

    > Some people might define __KERNEL__ on purpose when compiling something
    > in userspace, to get something that would otherwise be hidden from them.
    > Would you consider that sacrosanct too?

    Why _do_ you want to break things? Do the cleanup. Don't do the breakage.

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.023 / U:106.032 seconds]