    SubjectCircular Convolution scheduler
    Though the mechanism is doubtless familiar
    to signal processing and graphics implementers,
    it's probably not thought of much in a
    process scheduling contex (although there was
    the Evolution Scheduler of a few years ago,
    whose implementer may have had something like
    circular convolution in mind). It just seems to me
    (intuition) that the concept of what circular convolution does is akin to what we've been
    feeling around for with these ad hoc heuristic
    tweaks to the scheduler to adjust for interactivity
    and batch behavior, searching for an incremental self-adjusting mechanism that favors interactivity
    on demand.

    I've never implemented a circular convolver in
    any context, so I was wondering if anyone who
    has thinks scheduler prioritization would be
    simpler if implemented directly as a circular convolution.

    (If nothing else, it seems to me that the abstract model of what the schedule prioritizer is doing
    would be more coherent than it is with ad hoc
    code. This perhaps reduces the risk of unexpected side-effects of incremental tweaks to the scheduler. The behavior of an optimizer that implements
    an integer approximation of a known mathematical transform when you change its inputs is fairly predictable.)

    Clayton Weaver

    Sign-up for your own personalized E-mail at has over 400,000 jobs. Be smarter about your job search

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.022 / U:35.520 seconds]