SubjectRe: srfs - a new file system.
Quoting Nir Tzachar <tzachar@cs.bgu.ac.il>:
> hello all.
>
> We're proud to announce the availability of a _proof of concept_ file
> system, called srfs. ( http://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/~srfs/ ).
> a quick overview: [from the home page]
> srfs is a global file system designed to be distributed geographicly over
> multiple locations and provide a consistent, high available and durable
> infrastructure for information.
>
> Started as a research project into file systems and self-stabilization in
> Ben Gurion University of the Negev Department of Computer Science, the
> project aims to integrate self-stabilization methods and algorithms into
> the file (and operation) systems to provide a system with a desired
> behavior in the presence of transient faults.
>
> Based on layered self-stabilizing algorithms, provide a tree replication
> structure based on auto-discovery of servers using local and global IP
> multicasting. The tree structure is providing the command and timing
> infrastructure required for a distributed file system.
>
> The project is basically divided into two components:
> 1) a kernel module, which provides the low level functionality, and
> disk management.
> 2) a user space caching daemon, which provide the stabilization and
> replication properties of the file system.
> these two components communicate via a character device.
>
> more info on the system architecture can be find on the web page, and
> here: http://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/~tzachar/srfs.pdf
>
> We hope some will find this interesting enough to take for a test drive,
> and wont mind the latencies ( currently, the caching daemon is a bit slow.
> hopefully, we will improve it in the future. )
> anyway, please keep in mind this is a very early version that only works,
> and keeps the stabilization properties. no posix compliance whatsoever...
>
> the code contains several hacks and design flaws that we're aware of,
> and probably many that we're not... so please be gentle ;)
>
> if someone found this interesting, please contact us with ur insights.
> cheers,
> the srfs team.
>
> p.s I would like to thank all members of this mailing list (fsdevel), for
> ur continual help with problems we encountered during the development.
> thanks guys (and girls???).

> nir.

This sounds fairly similar to Coda[0], which is already in development and use.

-sandalle

[0] http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61

eric@sandall.us | http://www.sourcemage.org/