    SubjectRe: srfs - a new file system.
    On Mon Oct 20, 2003 at 11:12:07AM +0200, Nir Tzachar wrote:
    > more info on the system architecture can be find on the web page, and
    > here: http://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/~tzachar/srfs.pdf

    Suppose I install srfs on both my laptop and my server. I then
    move the CVS repository for my pet project onto the new srfs
    filesystem and I take off for the weekend with my laptop. Over
    the weekend I commit several changes to file X. Over the weekend
    my friend also commits several changes to file X.

    When I get home and plug in my laptop, presumably the caching
    daemon will try to stabalize the system by deciding which version
    of file X was changed last and replicating that latest version.

    Who's work will the caching daemon overwrite? My work, or my
    friends work?

    Of course, this need not involve anything so extreme as days of
    disconnected independent operation. A rebooting router between
    two previously syncd srfs peers seems sufficient to trigger this
    kind of data loss, unless you make the logging daemon fail all
    writes when disconnected.

    -Erik

    --
    Erik B. Andersen http://codepoet-consulting.com/