SubjectRe: [RFC] Consolidate vmlinux.lds.S files
On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 01:13:28PM -0600, Kai Germaschewski wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
>
> > The purpose was to define common stuff in a single place.
> > Ask Rusty Russell if it is fun to add the same section to > 50
> > .lds files.
> >
> > Based on the feedback I will try to come up with a lighter proposal,
> > that does not hurt readability.
> > I still want the common stuff separated away.
>
> I second this, though I also agree that your first cut was hiding away
> stuff more than necessary.
What I posted was to get feedback, not what I had in mind as first step.
I agree to take small steps - but wanted to find out the direction.

> I would suggest an approach like the following, of course showing only a
> first simple step.

But you do not deal with different alingment of the sections.
I have not yet fully understood all the requirements, but wanted to
keep the original ALIGN settings.
In the patch you posted some architectures use ALIGN(4) {cris},
other nothing, but most of them ALIGN(16).
Is it OK to force them all to ALIGN(16) then?

> A series of steps like this should allow for a serious
> reduction in size of arch/*/vmlinux.lds.S already, while being obviously
> correct and allowing archs to do their own special thing if necessary (in
> particular, IA64 seems to differ from all the other archs).

My main objective was that adding new stuff, like __gpl_ksyms could
be done in one place only.
Or .gnu.linkonce.vermagic, or whatever will be used for that.

Thats why I collected so much in INIT_SECTION_CMD(...).

I will come back with something during the week - as time permits.

Sam

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.096 / U:0.436 seconds]