    SubjectRe: [RFC] Consolidate files
    David Mosberger <> writes:

    > Kai> I would suggest an approach like the following, of course
    > Kai> showing only a first simple step. A series of steps like this
    > Kai> should allow for a serious reduction in size of
    > Kai> arch/*/ already, while being obviously correct and
    > Kai> allowing archs to do their own special thing if necessary (in
    > Kai> particular, IA64 seems to differ from all the other archs).
    > The only real difference for the ia64 is that it
    > generates correct physical addressess, so that the boot loader doesn't
    > have to know anything about the virtual layout of the kernel.
    > Something that might be useful for other arches as well...

    Thank you. I appreciate it.

    Having the physical addresses there makes writing a sane bootloader

    Alpha practically does this except there is a fixed virtual offset added to

    In general anything that gives us correct physical addresses makes
    like much simpler on the bootloader..

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:32    [W:0.019 / U:44.748 seconds]