    SubjectRe: linux-2.4.18-modified-scsi-h.patch
    On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 09:11:47PM +1100, Douglas Gilbert wrote:
    > Andre Hedrick wrote:
    > > Greetings Doug et al.
    > >
    > > Please consider the addition of this simple void ptr to the scsi_request
    > > struct. The addition of this simple void pointer allows one to map any
    > > and all request execution caller the facility to search for a specific
    > > operation without having to run in circles. Hunting for these details
    > > over the global device list of all HBA's is silly and one of the key
    > > reasons why there error recovery path is so painful.
    > >

    > > Scsi_Request *req = sc_cmd->sc_request;
    > > blah_blah_t *trace = NULL;
    > >
    > > trace = (blah_blah_t *)req->trace_ptr;
    > >

    > > Therefore the specific transport invoking operations via the midlayer will
    > > have the ablity to track and trace any operation.
    >
    > Andre,
    > No need to convince me: I have already put a similar pointer
    > in that structure in lk 2.5 (for either sd, st, sr or sg to use).
    > In sg case's it saved some ugly looping in (what was formerly
    > called) the bottom half handler. Sounds like your motivation is
    > similar.
    >
    > Doug Gilbert

    So we should name it the same in 2.4 as in 2.5: upper_private_data, not
    trace_ptr (thought it should really have been sr_upper_private_data,
    like all the other fields in scsi_request).

    I don't see why we need the #define, or is that another patch?

    -- Patrick Mansfield

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:31    [W:0.031 / U:0.012 seconds]