SubjectRe: bare pci configuration access functions ?
On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 02:00:27PM -0800, Grover, Andrew wrote:
> > From: Greg KH [mailto:greg@kroah.com]
> > In 2.5 we now have a
> > pci_bus_read_*
> > and pci_bus_write_* functions, which the pci hotplug drivers use, as
> > they at least know the bus on which the devices they are
> > looking for are
> > on. I also had to convert over some ACPI code that was using the
> > pci_read_config functions to get everything to work properly, but I
> > don't seem to be able to find that code in the latest 2.5 tree, so I
> > guess you don't need to do that anymore?
>
> It's still there in drivers/acpi/osl.c. We use the pci_root_ops directly,
> instead of bus->ops (which is usually set to pci_root_ops anyways) but I
> just mention this as a sidenote.

Ah, thanks for pointing it out, I try to forget my forays into the ACPI
code :)

But even then, you are building up a few pci structures yourself to talk
to the pci device. In looking at the few places you call this function,
is there any reason that acpi_ex_pci_config_space_handler() can't just
call pci_bus_* itself, instead of having to go through
acpi_os_read_pci_configuration()? If so, the one other usage of the
acpi_os_read_pci_configuration() can cause that function to be
simplified a lot.

Anyway, this is a nice diversion from the real problem here, for 2.4,
should I just backport the pci_ops changes which will allow pci
hotplugging to work again on ia64, or do we want to do something else?

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.086 / U:0.844 seconds]