    SubjectRe: bare pci configuration access functions ?

    On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:11:36 -0800
    Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:

    > But even then, you are building up a few pci structures yourself to talk
    > to the pci device. In looking at the few places you call this function,
    > is there any reason that acpi_ex_pci_config_space_handler() can't just
    > call pci_bus_* itself, instead of having to go through
    > acpi_os_read_pci_configuration()? If so, the one other usage of the
    > acpi_os_read_pci_configuration() can cause that function to be
    > simplified a lot.

    That's because of Linux port of ACPI CA structure.
    ACPI CA divides the acpi driver into OS independent part and os dependent
    part. acpi_ex_pci_config_space_handler exists in OS-independent
    part and acpi_os_read_pci_configuration exists in OS-dependent
    part. The OS independent part is shared with other OSes, while
    OS dependent part (acpi_os_xxx functions) are Linux specific.

    That's the way ACPI driver designers took and Linux can benefit
    from other OS's feedback in OS-independent part.

    > Anyway, this is a nice diversion from the real problem here, for 2.4,
    > should I just backport the pci_ops changes which will allow pci
    > hotplugging to work again on ia64, or do we want to do something else?

    It would be great if we had the same 2.5 functions in 2.4.

    Thanks,
    --
    KOCHI, Takayoshi <t-kouchi@cq.jp.nec.com/t-kouchi@mvf.biglobe.ne.jp>