Subjectrtnetlink interface state monitoring problems.
Date
I'm playing with userspace applications which want to monitor the status of
IrDA and Bluetooth devices. Rather than polling for the interface state
(this is a handheld device and polling wastes CPU and battery), I want to
use netlink.

I have two problems:

1. I appear to need CAP_NET_ADMIN to bind to the netlink groups which give
me this information. I can poll for it just fine, but need
elevated privs to be notified. Why is this, and is there a workaround?

2. Even root doesn't get notification of state changes for Bluetooth
interfaces, because they're not treated as 'normal' network devices
like IrDA devices are. I can see the logic behind that -- by why
is it done differently from IrDA? Is there a way to get notification
of BT interface state changes?

--
dwmw2