SubjectRe: rtnetlink interface state monitoring problems.
Date

hadi@cyberus.ca said:
> I cant see anything on netlink and irda; i am also not very familiar
> with either IrDA or Bluetooth. Regardless, you dont need to be a net
> device to use netlink.

IrDA devices are network devices. The core network code sends a RTM_NETLINK
message when they go up or down. All is well, and once the permission fix
gets into the kernel I'm using, my irda monitor applet no longer needs to
poll the state of the interface.

But Bluetooth devices are not network devices, it seems. There exists no
current mechanism for notifying anyone of state changes. Should we invent a
new method of notification using netlink, or should Bluetooth interfaces in
fact be normal network devices just like IrDA devices are?

--
dwmw2