    SubjectRe: PATCH for Broken PCI Multi-IO in 2.4.3 (serial+parport)
    Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > Tim Waugh wrote:
    > > It would allow support for new multi-IO cards to generally be the
    > > addition of about two lines to two files (which is currently how it's
    > > done), rather than having separate mutant hybrid monstrosity drivers
    > > for each card (IMHO)..
    > ;-)
    > My point of view is that hacking the kernel so that two device drivers
    > can pretend they are not driving the same hardware is silly. With such
    > hardware there are always inter-dependencies, and you can either hack
    > special case code into two or more drivers, or create one central
    > control point from which knowledge is dispatched. Like I mentioned in a

    My point of view is making it easy for the average user.
    This is the same as making it easy for maintainers of hardware drivers !

    More module interdependencies == More complicated == More clueless users

    Many users will be surprised if they must load another module (e.g."pci_multiio")
    to get their parallel and serial ports working.

    Thus _must not_ happen in the stable release.

    Regards, Gunther

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.021 / U:5.888 seconds]