SubjectRe: PATCH for Broken PCI Multi-IO in 2.4.3 (serial+parport)
Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Tim Waugh wrote:
> > It would allow support for new multi-IO cards to generally be the
> > addition of about two lines to two files (which is currently how it's
> > done), rather than having separate mutant hybrid monstrosity drivers
> > for each card (IMHO)..
> ;-)
> My point of view is that hacking the kernel so that two device drivers
> can pretend they are not driving the same hardware is silly. With such
> hardware there are always inter-dependencies, and you can either hack
> special case code into two or more drivers, or create one central
> control point from which knowledge is dispatched. Like I mentioned in a

My point of view is making it easy for the average user.
This is the same as making it easy for maintainers of hardware drivers !

More module interdependencies == More complicated == More clueless users

Many users will be surprised if they must load another module (e.g."pci_multiio")
to get their parallel and serial ports working.

Thus _must not_ happen in the stable release.

Regards, Gunther