SubjectRe: PATCH for Broken PCI Multi-IO in 2.4.3 (serial+parport)

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Tim Waugh wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 08:42:35PM +0200, Gunther Mayer wrote:
> > Please apply this little patch instead of wasting time by
> > finger-pointing and arguing.
> This patch would make me happy.
> It would allow support for new multi-IO cards to generally be the
> addition of about two lines to two files (which is currently how it's
> done), rather than having separate mutant hybrid monstrosity drivers
> for each card (IMHO)..

It is possible to design a single function PCI device that is able to do
everything. Your approach is just encouraging this kind of monstrosity.
Such montrosity will look like some single-IRQ capable ISA remake, thus
worse than 20 years old ISA.

If we want to encourage that, then we want to stay stupid for life, in my
nervous opinion.