    SubjectRe: Let init know user wants to shutdown
    "Grover, Andrew" <> writes:

    > [do we want to move this to linux-power?]

    I'm happy to as long as I'm cc'd.

    IMHO the pm interface should be split up as following:

    (1) Battery status, power status, UPS status polling. It
    should be possible for lots of processes to do this
    simultaneously. [That does not prohibit a single process
    querying the kernel and all the others querying it.]

    (2) Funky events happening to the physical machine, like a
    button being pressed, the case being closed, etc. [Should this
    include battery low warnings, power status changes? I don't

    (3) Sending the machine to sleep, turning it off. It should be
    possible to do this from userspace ;-)

    Am I missing anything? Of course (1) and (2) could be combined into a
    single daemon.

    ATM the area is fraught with incompatibility. There are a ridiculous
    number of power management systems - one per architecture almost. Each
    has a different kernel-userspace interface. Every UPS has its own
    interface too (?) ;-)

    > There should be only one PM policy agent on the system.

    As far as I see it, only some people need polling capabilities -
    i.e. those on battery or UPS. Why should they be subjected to the
    bloat etc. And those on battery might want multiple policies as Alan
    pointed out.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.020 / U:11.472 seconds]