    SubjectRe: Let init know user wants to shutdown
    Pavel Machek wrote:
    > > Are you sure? A suspend takes about 5-10 seconds on my laptop.
    >
    > Ouch? Really?

    No, I was thinking of one of the earlier 2.4 kernels. 2.4.3 seems
    faster again.

    > What I do is killall apmd, then apm -s and it is more or less
    > instant. [Are you using suspend-to-disk? AFAICS my toshiba can not do
    > suspend to disk, that's why I'm interested].

    Mind doesn't do suspend-to-disk either. I think it can with Windows but
    I've never run Windows on it to find out :-)

    I've always presumed the disk activity that starts after closing the lid
    and before powering down is due to the kernel, or maybe apmd, calling
    sync().

    > > (It was noticably faster with 2.3 kernels, btw. Now it spends a second
    > > or two apparently not noticing the APM event (though the BIOS is making
    > > the speaker beep ), then syncing the disk, then maybe another pause, then
    > > maybe some more disk activity, then finally shutting down. 2.3 started
    > > t he disk activity immediately and didn't pause. Perhaps 2.4.3 mm
    > > problems?)
    >
    > Take a look what apmd does. I'm killing it before apm -s.

    Hmm. Perhaps apmd needs a "do not sync" option, for when you don't care.

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.023 / U:31.136 seconds]