    SubjectRe: Special Kernel Modification
    Hello Ryan,

    >From what I can see. With chrooting, I have to make a complete "fake" system an
    then place the users below that into a home directory, or make a complete "fake"
    system for each user.

    I was trying to find a simple solution that would allow for:

    I was initially thinking about something like this for each user:

    /system (real) /dev/hda4 (chrooted also)

    /bin
    /etc
    /lib

    /home (each user chrooted)

    /user1
    | |
    | /system (mounted /dev/hda4)
    | |
    | /bin
    | /etc
    | /lib

    /user2
    | |
    | /system (mounted /dev/hda4)
    | |
    | /bin
    | /etc
    | /lib

    /user n

    /system (mounted /dev/hda4)

    /bin
    /etc
    /lib

    The basic problem is that I did not want, for example "user2" to be able to "cd
    .." or some thing to go out of user2

    I was hoping to be able to accomplish this at the filesystem level somehow, and
    possibly without the need to mount the /dev/hda4 onto each /home/user/system, or
    without having to make entire copies of the chrooted environment for each user.

    Cheers,
    Lonnie

    Quoting Ryan Cumming <bodnar42@phalynx.dhs.org>:

    > On November 4, 2001 16:01, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:
    > > I have look into using things like "chroot" to restrict the users
    > for
    > > this very special server, but that solution is not what we need.
    > > Is there someone who might be able to give me some information on how
    > > could add a few lines to the VFS filesystem so that I might set some
    > > type of extended attribute to prevent users from navigating out of
    > the
    > > locations.
    >
    > I fail to see the difference between "chroot" and "preventing users from
    >
    > navigating out of locations". Would you care to clarify what was wrong
    > was
    > chroot that you believe you can solve with a different approach?
    > -Ryan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:12    [W:0.024 / U:30.196 seconds]