On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 07:19:11PM -0400, Peter Rival wrote:
> Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> > >
> > > There are several other structures that have the same problem; very
> > > generic sounding members. I wonder would a patch changing struct page
> > > to something like this be acceptable?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > What would be acceptable is something that understands C, and that can be
> > used to follow these things. Like "tags".
> >

> How about something like cscope? It's sort of backwards if you're used to
> tags, but I use it all the time here and have found it pretty useful in areas
> that I'm not familiar with. Once they teach it how to handle assembly files
> (they may have already, I don't know) it should be great for the kernel.

cscope does not know much more about C than tags (like some regexpr
hacks to detect declarations and calls)

What Chris wants is really something only the compiler could do: log every
reference of a pointer type to a file including line number. Then you could
you could look for all references to "struct page *" as a type (be it from
a variable or from a cast). This would be much more
information than even -gdwarf2 includes, probably not much less than a full
parse tree. It also could not catch references from assembly files.

-Andi

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.198 / U:0.224 seconds]