    On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 07:19:11PM -0400, Peter Rival wrote:
    > Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
    > > >
    > > > There are several other structures that have the same problem; very
    > > > generic sounding members. I wonder would a patch changing struct page
    > > > to something like this be acceptable?
    > >
    > > No.
    > >
    > > What would be acceptable is something that understands C, and that can be
    > > used to follow these things. Like "tags".
    > >
    > How about something like cscope? It's sort of backwards if you're used to
    > tags, but I use it all the time here and have found it pretty useful in areas
    > that I'm not familiar with. Once they teach it how to handle assembly files
    > (they may have already, I don't know) it should be great for the kernel.

    cscope does not know much more about C than tags (like some regexpr
    hacks to detect declarations and calls)

    What Chris wants is really something only the compiler could do: log every
    reference of a pointer type to a file including line number. Then you could
    you could look for all references to "struct page *" as a type (be it from
    a variable or from a cast). This would be much more
    information than even -gdwarf2 includes, probably not much less than a full
    parse tree. It also could not catch references from assembly files.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.021 / U:118.692 seconds]