    Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:
    > > >
    > > > What would be acceptable is something that understands C, and that can be
    > > > used to follow these things. Like "tags".
    > >
    > > I don't like hungarian notation too, but tags is out of question,
    > > unfortunately. Too much preprocessor abuse in include/*/*.h.
    > Notice the _like_ tags.
    > Basically, what I'm saying is that I understand why people want to grep
    > for specific uses, but I'm saying that a pure textual greap that doesn't
    > understand the context is not an option - because it implies adding
    > "cruft" to everything you want to grep for. Not for readability, but for
    > greppability.
    > And I'm saying that if people really want to do this, then use the
    > computer to do it for you, having more than just "grep", and making your
    > tools aware of it.

    There is some facility allowing to implement this kind of things
    in the C++ part of the most recent EGCS version which makes implementing
    such things "relatively" easy - basiclly there is the provision to dump
    the parser trees as easy to process ascii text already there.

    Basically I think this dererr of syntactical analysis can only be
    implementen by serious help from the compiler.

    Maybe this is a new argument to facilitate at least correct syntactical
    processing of the kernel by the C++ flavour of EGCS?

    Please note that this wouldn't need to generate really executable code -
    which as we all know is rather difficult due to the extensive runtime
    support as well as ehm. the wired calling conventions C++ is oppressing
    on the compiler... Just correct syntactical processing is all what's
    neccessary -
    this isn't THAT difficult to achive ;-).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.033 / U:0.212 seconds]