On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Alexander Viro wrote:

> > What would be acceptable is something that understands C, and that can be
> > used to follow these things. Like "tags".
>
> I don't like hungarian notation too, but tags is out of question,
> unfortunately. Too much preprocessor abuse in include/*/*.h.

Notice the _like_ tags.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I understand why people want to grep
for specific uses, but I'm saying that a pure textual greap that doesn't
understand the context is not an option - because it implies adding
"cruft" to everything you want to grep for. Not for readability, but for
greppability.

And I'm saying that if people really want to do this, then use the
computer to do it for you, having more than just "grep", and making your
tools aware of it.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:39    [W:0.120 / U:0.620 seconds]