SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Withdrawl of Open Source NDS Project/NTFS/M2FS for Linux

Andi Kleen wrote:

> > It works today, but won't in the future. At some point, real sleep
> > locks will be needed for SMP tuning since you can give them prioities
> > and put deadlock detection into the sleep locks for apps. Priority
> > inheritance allows you to bump the priority of folks holding a bunch of
> > sleep locks so they release them more quickly. SCO Unix uses them and
> > that's why it's TCP-C numbers are almost 5 times what Linux's are with a
> > database. You'll need them to keep Linux competitive when Caldera ships
> > their SCO Unix version.
>
> That remains to be seen. Complex locking does not necessarily look like
> the true path to performance.

I watched the USL guys numbers get higher and higher when they put this
stuff in their kernel and tuned it. I admit, I wasn't a believer either
until I saw their numbers in 1995, but I became one -- numbers don't
lie.

Jeff

> -Andi

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:1.034 / U:0.212 seconds]